Saturday, January 15, 2011

#9: The Olive Oil Plant

On Monday, in Lleida, we went to a local olive oil pressing plant--the largest industry/company in town.  Borges, the name of the company, was very interesting.  Unfortunately I couldn't take pictures inside the factory for privacy purposes.

We drove into the parking lot and Julie and Genny got off the bus and presented identification.  We had two official guides from the plant take us around.  We went to a small conference room where we all had to put on lab coats and hairnets, just in case.  We saw the warehouse where the product is stored, then the vats  where the oil is held until use, and the bottling line.  All of the olive oil pressed at Borges is used for food purposes--no cosmetics--and most of it is sold commercially to restaurants and other food businesses.  A small portion of the oil is exported to the United States, under the brand names Star or Borges.  Most importantly, we all learned the differences in the types of olive oil by quality:  extra virgin, refinado, regular and a "crude" level (for which i've forgotten the name).

At the end of the tour, we all received a sample bottle of extra virgin olive oil and balsamic viniagrette to take back with us.

For lunch that day, my roommates and I went into town in Lleida and went to a local grocery store to buy food.  We each bought a baguette, split some meat and cheese, and each brought an individual snack.  I paid 3.37 euros total for a box of cookies, my cheese, a can of soda and my baguette, and it was quite filling!  We all felt so European.


The hotel in Lleida, which was also the city train station (in back)

The entrance to the Borges olive oil plant


Me in my factory gear, holding my olive oil

Our plant guides

Today is Saturday and I'm about to depart from Spain to Andorra.  I thought I'd have more time to catch up totally on the blog but I guess not!  I'll try to update from Andorra this weekend, if there's internet, and if not, then when we return to Barcelona next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment