Wednesday, May 11, 2011

#28: Return Voyage

It's been a week and a half since I left Merida and returned home to the States.  I haven't updated in a long time due to finals, projects and presentations, making my graduation arrangements while abroad and a weeklong trip to the Mexican state of Chiapas with my classmates.  Now that I'm back, I figured I had to admit the truth (that I'm no longer in Mexico!) and give a final entry.

I really wish I could have had time to give a day-by-day update of every single thing I saw while living abroad.  I want everyone to see the streets I walked to class, taste the different flavors of the foods I tried, breathe in the humid smell of the Mayan jungle that I slept in.  But traveling to another country is really just an experience that you have to get for yourself.

I know this sounds far-fetched, but taking such a big leap really stretches your personal limits.  You learn about yourself and your own culture because of the direct comparison to another.  One of the best things I've gained is a more open approach to life.  Sometimes the most rewarding experiences come disguised as mundane activities if you give them a chance.  While you'll find the same sorts of people you knew before wherever you go, don't make assumptions about anyone.  Above all, make every day fun.  I'm very glad to say that I spent every moment of my time in Mexico to the fullest.  My only regret is not having more time to see the things I missed--but there are repeat visits for that.

So what's next? Good question.  I'll be graduating on the 22nd and then I'll be spending a few months at home before I take the next step.  I've already promised my host family that I'll return next year to visit, but I haven't picked a date as of yet.  Of course, I have my eyes peeled for another opportunity to travel again.  When that happens, maybe I'll reopen the blog and jot a few notes about the journey.

The good news is that with all my newfound spare time, I've uploaded all of my pictures from Mexico (8 albums!) onto facebook and they're available for public viewing.

Album 1 starts in early February:  my first glimpses of Merida and the Hotel Caribe; the ruins of Chichen Itza and Tulum; and a little of Puerto Morelos (from our weeklong trip around the peninsula).

Album 2 finishes the peninsula trip with the ruins at Ek Balam, our visit to a Mayan school in Sisbixen, and an introduction to my homestay, neighborhood and family (like my host nephew's birthday party).  There's also pictures from our first time out at clubs, a walking tour of the Paseo de Montejo, and my "cultural comparison" visit to McDonald's.

Album 3 has a field trip to some cenotes, Mexican Carnaval, and the ruins at Dzibilchaltun.

Album 4 has pictures of my English students, another trip to ruins, a visit to a wildlife reserve in the jungle, and my other host nephew's first communion.

Album 5 has a bunch of great pictures of Progreso, the beach town next door--both my homestay's beach house and when i went to a taping of the Mexican Today show (Programa Hoy).  I went on a field trip to the zoo with my English students, the Mayan students came to visit us in Merida, and I have some pictures from the research project I did on the city's historical archives (including some of the oldest books in the Yucatan!).

Album 6 starts our journey towards the state of Chiapas--camping and hiking in the jungle, the ruins at Palenque and visiting a museum.

Album 7 continues photos of the jungle, along with the city of San Cristobal de las Casas, horseback riding to San Juan Chamula and a boat ride through Cañon del Sumidero to the Amikuu ecopark.

Finally, Album 8 finishes up the pictures in Amikuu, spending the night and a day in Campeche City and highlights our final dinner together in Merida with our professors the night before we returned stateside.

If you like the idea of reading blogs and want some fresh new voices, let me give a few recommendations:

--Martha, aka Centre Chic, has a fabulous makeup blog where she gives tips, discusses products and tries out the hottest new looks.  I've learned a lot and I don't even wear makeup that often.

--Becca has an inspirational blog up and running that is all about eating disorder recovery and awareness. Not only is it very touching because of its openness about a very personal issue, but the take-home messages are uplifting in any situation.

--Marc has two blogs:  first, an academic and personal approach to his home region of Appalachia and current issues in that area.  (He'll be studying the region this fall in his graduate studies.)  There's also his movie blog, where he reviews and discusses the finer points of American cinema.

--Stephanie has her Life After Centre blog, chronicling her time abroad in London and her plans after graduation.  (She also makes mention about her beloved corgis as well.)

--Soc professor Beau Weston has a very interesting blog about life, family, religion and modern society.  Out of all of the mentioned bloggers, he is definitely the most prolific, with entries dating back to 2005.

--Rounding out the "Centre spotlight" is Mindy's cooking blog.  Her selections come from around the country and around the world so there are tons to choose from!

--My namesake Ashley also has a cooking blog, but she also includes musings on life in grad school.  You can find her at the aptly named A Recipe for Sanity.

--Last but not least, Leah's studying in Germany this semester and has some awesome pictures and posts here at her Tumblr blog.

Those 9 blogs also have lists of recommendations, so even though I'm not posting anymore, there's tons of other great topics to read and comment on.  I'd like to thank all of you that kept up with my travels and hope to hear of your own!

1 comment:

  1. Three things:

    1. I know I never commented, but I read your blog regularly. I want to travel so badly!

    2. I cannot wait to see you, lovely! I've missed you so much!

    3. Thanks for the shout-out!

    ReplyDelete